We Make Astronomy Fun and Inspiring!
Founded in 2018, Mile High Astronomy is the new telescope and astronomy resource for Denver, Colorado, the Rocky Mountain region, and beyond.
My name is Sorin, and I wanted to create a new kind of Telescope shopping experience: One that puts the focus not on the equipment, but on creating amazing and engaging experiences by bringing the universe and the night sky to you!
Our Mission and Values
- Fun - We believe in creating WOW moments! Forget what you learned in school – astronomy and science is fun and inspiring, and we want you to have fun on your journey of discovery!
- Approachable - We want to make exploring the stars easy, and frustration free. All too often, you can't find the right guidance to get the right telescope for you. Our online buyers guide and staff of Night Sky Guides will set you on the right course to the telescope for you!
- Meaningful Connections - We believe that when someone gets a glimpse of the cosmic perspective, they become more empathic. That empathy helps build a stronger and more inclusive community, both locally and globally. (Astronauts call this the Overview Effect.)
- Inspiring Experiences - We choose to #OptUp, to look to the Moon, the Planets, and the Stars. We choose to imagine the what-ifs and the future adventurers that will reach out and touch distant worlds. We believe in creating future scientists and explorers by delivering a fun and engaging introduction to the universe, science, and discovery!
Why Buy from Us
- We are Astronomers - Everyone at Mile High Astronomy is a Night Sky Guide: passionate about astronomy, and passionate about sharing those magical experiences that can only be found among the stars and planets!
- Service and Trust - We will always deal honestly and transparently, and put our focus on delivering an out-of-this-world experience to everyone we work with.
- Only Quality Products - You'll notice we don't offer all the telescopes that competitors do. That's because we have created a curated list of products that we know you'll be delighted with. If a scope doesn't meet our standards, it isn't in our catalog.
- Recommended Products - A step beyond just a quality product, products marked as Mile High Astronomy Recommended are the cream of the crop for their category and price.
- We are Guides, not sales people - We mean it! Nobody here works on commission, and we aren't going to try to sell you anything you don't want. Our focus is to provide the gear and knowledge you need to have your own amazing experiences, because that's what good guides do!
- Competitive Pricing - Our pricing is the same as our competitors, with products where it is applicable set at Manufacturer's Minimum Advertised Price (MAP).
Sales Tax - We do not collect sales tax outside of Colorado. When shipping to a Colorado address, we are required to collect and remit sales tax to the state.
Did you know that the state of Colorado requires residents to pay sales tax for all online purchases, even if they are from out of state companies? (See Colorado's "Amazon Tax" law is now in effect.) The state holds the buyer responsible for paying use tax on those purchases at tax time. Larger out of state companies are required to send a record of your total purchase amount to the state. Save yourself the potential tax headache, and buy local from other Colorado astronomers.
About The Owner
Mile High Astronomy was founded by Sorin, an astrophotographer, author, blogger (http://soggyastronomer.com), astronomical artist, and active board member of the Denver Astronomical Society. He has a passion for astronomy, and loves to share that passion.
Sorin worked as a Software Product Manager and Director in Fortune 500 companies for 15 years in the entertainment and education spaces. Before founding Mile High Astronomy, Sorin developed AstroBox, the Astronomy and Space Science subscription box service. Mile High Astronomy is an outgrowth of the AstroBox mission to engage and inspire more people of all ages in the wonders of discovery!