Extra narrowband SII-CCD 6.5nm filter (Sulfur II for CCD) is designed for nebula observation. It transmits 6.5nm bandwidth light, centered on a wavelength of 672nm. It reduces the transmission of certain wavelengths of light, specifically those produced by artificial light, including mercury vapor, and both high and low pressure sodium vapor lights, as well as the unwanted natural light caused by neutral oxygen emission in our atmosphere (i.e. skyglow).
Main Use and Performance
- Use with H-alpha and OIII-CCD extra narrowband filters (SHO Set) for tricolor CCD astrophotography.
- Narrowband imaging with SHO set can be done with the moon up in heavy light pollution, so your equipment is not sitting dormant for several weeks.
- The "Hubble look" can be made by the combination of H-alpha, OIII-CCD and SII-CCD, such as the famous “Pillars of Creation” (M16 Eagle Nebula)
- Narrowband filters do not eliminate the effects of light pollution or increase the object’s brightness. In many cases, they increase the contrast between nebula and night sky, without brightening the nebula.
- Schott substrate material
- Thickness 2.0mm
- Surface Quality: 60/40 (Refer to MIL-O-13830)
- Optically polished to ensure accurate 1/4 wavefront and <30 seconds parallelism over both surfaces
- 80% transmission at SII line 672nm
- Infrared wavelength 700-1100nm cut-off
- 0.1% transmission of off-band, specifically the major emission lines of artificial light pollution (i.e. Na 589nm, Hg 435nm and 578nm). Transmission of 0.1% is equivalent to OD3 (Optical Density), where a high optical density value indicates very low transmission, and low optical density indicates high transmission.
- Non-cemented optical substrate coating
- Electron-beam gun evaporation with Ion-assisted deposition coating technology for durability and resistance to scratching, as well as stability on CWL (central wavelength); no deviation affected by temperature change
- Planetary rotation system offers precision and homogeneity of coatings ensuring high value on transmission of pass-band and Optical density of off-band
- Ultra-thin filter cell minimizes vignetting by maximizing possible clear aperture (clear aperture is 26mm for 1.25”; 45mm for 2”)
- Aerometal Material
- Precise CNC Machining
- Sand Blasting Process
- Black Anodized Finish
- Extinction Treatment to Prevent Reflection
- Laser Engraving No Fading
- Plastic PP Case
- Imported High Pressure EVA Case Lining
- Silver Cardboard Box
- High Density Sponge Carton Lining
- Standard 1.25”
- Standard 2”
- Round 31mm Unmounted
- Round 36mm Unmounted